Lemon and Elderflower Shortbread Biscuits
225g/8oz plain flour
75g/3oz caster sugar
rind of one lemon
1 desert spoonful of elderflower cordial
Icing sugar for dusting
- Place the dry ingredients into a bowl. Cut the butter into the mixture and rub in., add the lemon and elderflower. Initially this will make a crumbly mixture, but will eventually come together as a single piece of dough.
- Flour a board or a worktop and turn the dough out. Knead gently and then roll out
- You have three options at this point:
- Use a cutter to make the biscuits
- Roll the dough into a log shape and cut into rounds approximately 1.5cm thick
- Place the dough in a round 18cm/7 inch tin and pack down well
- Whatever you decide, prick the dough with a fork and bake in the oven @ 180°C/Gas Mark 4 until the shortbread takes on a very light golden colour. Cooking time will depend on the size of shortbread you decide to make and will take anything from 10 to 20 minutes
- When the shortbread is cooked and is still warm, dust with icing sugar
For a variation on traditional shortbread, try adding caraway seeds, dried blueberries, pine nuts or almonds. Simply add 25g/1oz of your chosen ingredient to the dry ingredients at stage one.