A Hot Baked Ice-Cream Alaska Style with Local Berries, Passion fruit sauce and chocolate coated strawberries
Have you ever tried baking with cream in the oven and eating it cold. Here’s a stunning dessert that anyone can make. Baked with seasonal berries, light fat-less sponge and crunch meringues around the outside.
- Light Egg Sponge
- 2 free range medium fresh eggs
- 50 g/2oz caster sugar
- 50 g/2oz plain flour
- 110 g/4oz vanilla /chocolate lo-fat ice-cream
- 225 g/8oz seasonal local fruits and berries e.g. strawberries blueberries, raspberries, cherries.
- 2 egg whites free range or organic
- 110 g/4oz caster sugar
- Vanilla essence few drops
- Prepare the Sponge
- Beat together the three eggs with caster sugar until light and fluffy and form figure of 8 shape with dough.
- Sieve the flour into the mixture, mix well then transfer to a lightly greased 6″/15cm tin.
- Bake in oven at 190 C/gas No 5 for 15-16 minutes until risen, golden and firm to the touch.
- Turn out onto cooling tray and leave to cool.
- Prepare the Fruits
- Wash well, remove stalks, cut into half (if large) mix together in a bowl.
- Use a little fruit to make a puree by sieving gently into a small bowl.
- Make the Meringues
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites carefully. Place the whites in a bowl that is clean, cool, dry and totally fat-free.
- Whisk egg whites with 2-3 dsp of caster sugar until light and fluffy. Carefully fold in the remainder of the sugar and beat until the meringue is stiff.
- Assemble the Pudding
- Place the layer of sponge on a flat baking sheet. Top with half the prepared fruit and a little of the fruit puree.
- Remove the very c hilled ice-cream from the freezer compartment and very quickly cover the sponge and fruit with ice-cream.
- Top the entire pudding with meringue ensuring the meringue totally encloses and seals the fruit, ice-cream and sponge.
- Dust lightly with a little caster sugar, decorate with cherries and bake in the oven at 200 C/Gas No 6 for 4-5 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve hot.