A Seasonal Vegetarian Tart
This is one of my all time favourite recipes, which has endless variations with the season of the year. The filling can vary from asapargus, courgettes, watercress,onions, the best of the seasonal vegetables from the garden in a light crumbly pastry.
- 100 gms/4oz butter or poly unsaturated fat
- 200 g/8oz Neill’s plain flour – sieved
- 1 egg – lightly beaten
- 2-3 dsp cold water
- 5 og/ 2oz parmesan cheese
- 400 gms. Of celery – cut into chunks and oven roasted in honey
- 2 dsp. honey
- 2 red onions – sliced
- 1 dsp. Rapeseed oil
- 150 g/ 6oz Spinach
- 50 g/2oz Brie cheese
- Asparagus spring onions
- 125 1/4 pint mls. No fat yoghurt
- 2 eggs – beaten lightly
- Pinch of Paprika
- 1 dsp chopped fresh herbs eg parsley or basil
- 1 dsp Balsamic vinegar
- 100 gms 4 oz cheese
- Place all the pastry ingredients in a food processor and whiz until they bind together to form a soft dough. Roll out to the thickness of 1 cm/½ inch, to line a rectangular dish aprox. 10” x 6”.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan. Add the onion and cook lightly for 1 minute. Lightly toss all the vegetables in balsamic vinegar and cook lightly before adding the honey, and pouring into the pastry case. Mix together the yoghurt, eggs, herbs & paprika. If using cheese add at this stage, cut into cubes or grated. Pour over the tart, and bake in the oven 200 degrees C, for 20 – 25 minutes.