Broomstick Pumpkin Kebabs with Roasted Pepper Relish
Serves: 4 These pumpkin kebabs are quick to cook and look wonderful. They’re also perfect for Halloween. If you are using wooden skewers, remember to leave them in cold water for a few minutes before threading the food – this prevents them from catching fire during cooking.
- 2 yellow and 2 orange peppers – halved
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 dsp soft brown sugar
- juice of ½ lemon
- 225 g/8oz pumpkin flesh
- 1 pkt large salad onions
- 1 yellow and 1 orange pepper – cut into 1 inch cubes
- The Pepper Relish
- Place the peppers on a baking tray and cook in the oven at 200°C/gas mark 6 for 10-12 minutes until softened. Alternatively, place the peppers under a hot grill until soft and slightly blackened.
- Peel the skin from the peppers and place the flesh in a bowl with the olive oil. Blitz in a blender for 1 minute until you have a smooth paste.
- Place the pepper mixture in a saucepan and add the chilli flakes, soft brown sugar and lemon juice. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Leave to cool.
- The Pumpkin kebabs
- Cut the pumpkin into wedges and take out the seeds. Remove the soft pumpkin flesh and cut into 1 inch chunks.
- Steam the pumpkin over a low temperature for 7-10 minutes until slightly soft.
- Thread alternate pieces of steamed pumpkin, salad onions and peppers onto wooden or metal skewers. Brush well with the roasted pepper relish and cook on the barbecue or under a hot grill for approximately 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Turn the kebabs frequently and keep brushing them with the relish during cooking.