Buttermilk & Vanilla Scones
Makes 8 – 10 scones These light, tasty scones are ideal for freezing and can be defrosted and reheated. Ideal for a coffee morning.
- 350 g/12oz soda bread self-raising flour
- 50 g/2oz butter
- 25 g/1oz caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 175 g/6fl oz buttermilk
- Sieve the flour into a bowl. Add the butter. Cut through and rub in for 1 minute. Add the sugar, vanilla essence and milk. Mix to a firm but soft dough.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface, knead and gently roll out to a thickness of 2½cm/1 inch and cut out with either a plain or a fluted cutter (approximately 2cm/5 inches in diameter).
- Place the scones on a floured baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven @ 200˚C/Gas mark 6 for 12-15 minutes or until the scones are golden brown on top.
- To Decorate
- 125ml/4fl oz whipped cream
- Allow the scones to cool on a wire rack, then split in half and fill with whipped cream and jam.
Add in some raisins, blueberries or raspberries for an extra treat.