Devilled Potato Skins with a Peppered Chilli Dip
These crunchy spicy potato skins are great fun for a bonfire party. They’re easy to eat with your fingers and are delicious on their own, dipped in soured cream or served with a peppered chilli dip.
The Peppered chilli dip (Serves 4) works very well with devilled potato skins and is excellent with grilled or barbecued food.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 110 g/4oz medium Cheddar cheese – grated
- 1 tsp chilli-infused sunflower oil
- 1 pkt cooked bacon lardons
- 2 dsp plain yoghurt
- sale and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ yellow pepper
- 150 ml/¼pt low fat mayonnaise
- ½ red chilli – deseeded and very finely sliced
- ½ green chilli – deseeded and very finely sliced
- ½ tsp garlic – finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- sprigs of coriander or parsley
The Potato Skins
Bake the potatoes until soft and almost cooked, then cut into large wedges. Using a knife, remove the skin and set it aside. Mash the potatoes and mix in the cheese, oil, bacon and yoghurt. Season to taste.
Transfer the mashed potato mixture back onto each potato skin. Reheat, either on the barbecue or below a hot grill, for 2-3 minutes, until hot, bubbling and golden.
Dust with paprika and serve.
The Peppered chilli dip
Roast the pepper in a hot oven or below a hot grill for 10-15 minutes until slightly blackened. Remove the skin and chop finely.
Place the mayonnaise in a bowl and add the pepper, chillies and garlic. Mix well and season.
Serve garnished with coriander or parsley.